Excerpt: "Workers will be able to contribute more to their retirement accounts in 2019... The limit increased to $19,000, up $500 from 2018... The IRS is also lifting the contribution limit for individual retirement accounts... to $6,000 2018."
Gordon: A few observations.
* 401k & IRA plans are not guaranteed investments.
* They are tax deferral schemes from Congress.
* Yes, markets do go UP. They go DOWN too.
* When the market goes DOWN, so will your plan.
* Congress will never allow plans to short stocks.
* Which is why your plans hold bullish funds only.
* Solution: Roll your plans into an IRA.
* Designate it a self-directed IRA.
* Do your own stock and mutual fund picking.
* Including buying inverse ETFs...
* That let you profit from a falling market.
* Or stay stuck northbound on a southbound bus.
Gordon Philips is a contrarian wealth coach, currency trader and lifetime student of hidden (i.e., actual) history who trusts politicians, academia and the financial media about as far as he can throw a sold gold brick.